American Born Chinese announces casting for the Disney+ Original Series.
The genre-hipping action-comedy based on the graphic novel of the same name by Gene Luen Yang, American Born Chinese, has announced casting for the Disney+ original series. The series’ cast features the astounding international stars Michelle Yeoh, Ben Wang, two-time International Emmy Award nominee Yeo Yann Yann, Chin Han, Daniel Wu, Ke Huy Quan, former Taekwondo champion Jim Liu and Sydney Taylor
The Cast of American Born Chinese
Top, From Left: Thomas Laisne/@Getty Images, Sean Velasco-Dodge, Chen You Wei, Reto Sterchi
Bottom, From Left: Wing Shya, Paul Wong, Josh Monkey, Amy Casson
American Born Chinese is based on the graphic novels of the same name by Gene Luen Yang. The series will tell the story of Jin Wang, an average teenager juggling his high school social life with his home life. When he meets a new foreign student on the first day of the school year, even more worlds collide as Jin is unwittingly entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods. The action-packed coming-of-age adventure explores identity, culture, and family.
RELATED: National Treasure Officially Casts Catherine Zeta-Jones in Disney+ Series
Here is the official cast breakdown:
- Michelle Yeoh as “Guanyin,” an unassuming auntie, who helps her nephew Wei-Chen navigate the challenges of American high school while maintaining her secret identity as the all-powerful Buddhist bodhisattva of Compassion.
- Ben Wang as “Jin Wang,”an American teen whose parents immigrated from Taiwan, who is struggling to carve out exactly who he’s supposed to be socially and culturally.
- Yeo Yann Yann as Jin’s mom, “Christine Wang,”a strong-willed, opinionated woman with a sly wit, who loves her family deeply.
- Chin Han as Jin’s father, “Simon Wang,”a hard-working, devoted father and husband who is bumping up against the “bamboo ceiling” at his job.
- Daniel Wu as Sun Wukong “The Monkey King,” the legendary, all-powerful god of the Chinese epic Journey to the West, who enters our world in search of his son.
- Ke Huy Quan as “Freddy Wong,” a fictional character from a popular mid-1990s sitcom.
- Jim Liu as Jin’s confident friend “Wei-Chen,” a teen who has just arrived in the United States, whose sweet demeanor belies the deeper mystery of his true identity.
- Sydney Taylor as “Amelia,” a friendly “All-American” girl who is Jin’s classmate and crush.
American Born Chinse is being produced by 20th Television and will begin production in Los Angeles later this month. Emmy Award-winning writer/producer Kelvin Yu serves as executive producer and showrunner. Destin Daniel Cretton is set to direct and serves as executive producer, alongside Melvin Mar and Jake Kasdan, Erin O’Malley, Asher Goldstein and Gene Luen Yang.
What do you think of the cast of American Born Chinese? Have you read the graphic novel? Do you think the series will release this year? Let us know what you think in the comments below or let us know your thoughts on Twitter.
Source: Disney Media
KEEP READING: The Daily Bugle Giveaway – 1 Official Copy of The Daily Bugle from Spider-Man: No Way Home